Cutting weight from your S197 - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cutting weight from your S197

Has anyone here cut a drastic amount of weight from their car?Ive done quite a bit already(200ish lbs) but would like to discuss this with other forum members who would like to share their tips or learn form others.Heres what Ive done.
1.BMR sway bar delete radiator support(26lbs)
2.Aluminum drive shaft(30lbs)
3.Removed EVERYTHING from trunk(60lbs)
4.Removed cats with an o-r x pipe(25-30lbs)
5.Removed heat shields for cats,hood liner,antena(5-6lbs)
6.Removed the metal brackets with rubber flaps from under car in front of gas tank(5lbs)
7.removed windsheild washer canister and lines(6-7lbs including fluid.this also helped give a cleaner look under the hood)
8.Removed axel backs(30-35lbs at least.I put them back on and take them off all the time)
9.Dyna Maxx battery(40lbs)
10.Removed fender well skirts(4-5lbs.All they do is hide a few lines.They dont serve any other purpose!)
So thats a "FEW" things Ive done so far and it's over 200lbs and does not efect the every day driving of the car!.I will be planning on doing the rear seat delete(Good for 40lbs)soon.I look forward to peoples responses with what they've done!Lets help eachother beat down those LS1 & LS2 boys!Heck,they need something to b!tch about!LOL!

HELLAFIED MUSTANG CLUB OF S.FLA!
MODDED?OH **** YEAH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

It looks like you've done a pretty good amount already. It really all depends on how much discomfort you're willing to put up with and how much money you're willing to spend.

Here are a few things off the top of my head, some cheap, some not:
-Wheels should be good for quite a bit of weight if you were to go with some sort of light weight racing wheels. I know the Weld Draglites I had on my previous car were a good amount lighter than the stock pony wheels.

-Replace the hood with a fiberglass (or carbon fiber) one. Not sure if they're available for the '05+ cars yet, but you could also look into a fiberglass decklid. It'll probably rattle like ****, but even the decklid is weighs a good amount.

-Remove all of the sound insulation under the carpet, behind the door panels, in the trunk, etc

-Replace the stock front seats. Again it'll drastically change the look of the interior but those seats (especially the leather ones) weigh alot. There are alot of alternatives out there from seats that still look decent but weigh less, to all out fiberglass racing buckets.

-Remove the carpets, interior panels. It'll make the interior ugly as sin and the car will sound like a tin can inside, but those things weigh a ton.

I've personally known guys with fox body cars who have literally gutted everything from the car to the point where the cars were just shells with a dash and two racing buckets. It really all depends on how crazy you want to get.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah Im leaning towards a few upgrades with the interior.IE rear seat delete & race seats of some sort but our hoods are made from aluminum and the fiberglass ones are heavier!Ive already stripped the trunk but didnt know about the insulation in the doors!Thanks for that tip!I will eventually do the wheels but need to save a few nickels & dimes first!LOL!But I do want to keep the creature comforts so I wont be gutting my car.Just mainly looking for any unneccesary weight like your tip on the insulation and the things Ive done.None of it(What Ive done) will hurt the car any way.I did find some things in the engine bay that would take a few(3-5lbs) off the nose of the car.Im just looking under every rock I guess.LOL!

MODDED?OH **** YEAH!!!

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse1974
but our hoods are made from aluminum and the fiberglass ones are heavier!
I never realized that. I wonder how much that is hurting the aftermarket hood business.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Believe it or not its not hurting them at all!LOL.People are buying the California dream hood & other styles in fiberglass to just change the look of their car.

MODDED?OH **** YEAH!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Banned

Yea I hear ya. I also wonder how many people even realize that the fiberglass hoods weigh more than the stocker.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Nothing of great importance but in my quest for cutting every bit of weight from my S197 that wont hurt the car I found the head rest.....Yes,I know some of you are saying,"WTF is wrong with this guy!".But if you look at all the things in my prior posts on what Ive cut from the car you will understand that there is more 1-5lbs things to be removed then big weight savings to be removed.It all adds up is what Im trying to say.So I removed the head rests & to be honest the 4-5lbs savings is good but I like the look too!If anyone remembers,the old stangs in the muscle era were very "sqaure" looking buckets.Well,thats what they look like now without the head rests.

MODDED?OH **** YEAH!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

Yea I know what seats you're talking about.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

weight reduction

Norse, I see you went with the BMR radiator support delete option. I have done this as well, but I took it one major step further - I switched out the stock K-frame for one of BMR's tubular K-frame & A-arms. This amounted to a significant weight drop with a huge bonus of major access from below to the under area of the engine bay. I've also done everything else you mentioned in your thread except remove the window washer canister. Wanta keep the bugs off my glass. Here's a couple of photos of the BMR tubular subframe. Take care Jack (Sarasota, FL)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 113_1305.JPG (102.0 KB, 2148 views)
File Type: jpg 113_1308.JPG (92.1 KB, 2146 views)
File Type: jpg 113_1309.JPG (84.2 KB, 2134 views)
File Type: jpg 113_1307.JPG (123.2 KB, 2152 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page