swap parts between early 302 and 87 roller 302 - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
swap parts between early 302 and 87 roller 302

I was going to rebuild a '68 302 but had an opportunity to pick up an '87 (E7TE CA) roller machined and ready to go at a very reasonable price. Then I found out that the balance was different and the rear main seal was changed. I had planned on replacing the heads, cam and intake and bought 30 over pistons with the block but had hoped to reuse the crank from the '68 block (if still good). Can the crank be used and does the block or the crank dictate which flywheel weight balance you need? Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Re: swap parts between early 302 and 87 roller 302

Unfortunately as far as I know you can't use the older crank in the newer block without having the crank machined for the one piece rear main seal. It might be easier to use everything from the '87 engine including the crank, balancer and flywheel. The only problem is with the lower front pulley. The '87 uses a serpentine belt with a 4 bolt lower pulley and I think your '68 has a 3 bolt lower pulley. I've read that a '77 pulley will work in that situation but there may be other years that'll work too.

Also remember that the waterpumps may be different rotation and the distributor gears are different materials too so they'll need to be swapped over.

Personally before making any big decisions or buying anything else I'd find a local engine machine shop and see what they recommend. You're going to have to find somebody to machine everything before assembly anyway so you might as well get them involved earlier rather than later.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: swap parts between early 302 and 87 roller 302

Appreciate your help on this and yes, I think I may need some machine shop advice before I go too far.
I picked up the '87 block and new 30 over pistons (with new rings) because the block had just been machined and all new bearings installed. Since the price was about where I thought I would be having my '68 block machined I figured why not go with the newer block. Looks like I may have also bought some issues when I bought the block and pistons.
I was planning on using an early water pump with "normal" rotation, I was not even aware that the '87 had reversed rotation or had the serpentine belts.
I may look into having the '68 crank machined to accomodate the rear main seal and maybe avoid the pulley and balance issues. Since all I have is the block and pistons for the '87 I would have to buy a new crank, balancer, flywheel.............there goes any money I may have saved.
Probably should have talked with you before I started. Live and learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page