Calling all mustang fans - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calling all mustang fans

I am in need of your help. I have a 1998 3.8L coupe. I have decited to up grade to a V8. BUT I don't know which one? I was thinking a 5.0 302, but then found out that they are only 225HP, and I am already at 215HP with my V6. I have heard that the 1999 thru 2004 4.6 has 260HP. The biggest problem is money. I dont have the money to go buy a 06' 4.6L So I need something powerful, affordable, and not impossible to find. Also does anybody know if my frame will be able to handle? I dont want to finish the car then bend the frame, anf crack the paint, cuz it is too powerfull. let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

The 5.0L's only have 225hp, which may be just 10 more than your V6 but you have to think about the torque the V8 has, and more importantly where it makes the torque. Trust me, the V8 will feel faster. Besides that the 5.0L is really easy to modify and aftermarket parts are getting cheaper and cheaper as people move on the 4.6L cars.

On the other hand if you want a 4.6L, then the cheapest route you can go with (while still having a decent amount of power) would be the '99+ cars. If you shop around you can find '99 Mustangs for around $10K.

It really depends on what you want and what body style you prefer because for the price of a '99 you could get a fox body Mustang in decent shape for a few grand and then put the rest toward upgrades.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-14-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Whick will put me back into my seat faster the 5.0 or 4.6? Will the 5.0 fit into my enginebay? Also will my frame be able to handle it? I will need an automatic trans. Is there any problems with late 80s early 90s autmatic trans?

post #4 of 16 Old 08-15-2006, 02:52 AM
Banned

Oh i see what you mean, you want to put a V8 engine in your car? If thats the case i'd suggest just selling your car and buying one that already came with a V8. Sure it's definately possible to swap motors, but there's alot more to it than "meets the eye". You'd have to change out the entire fuel injection system, and i believe the tranny/rear end are different than the V8 cars also. Not to mention all the little things that would need to be changed also. In the end it would probably be cheaper to just buy the entire car...LOL

If you are going to go ahead and swap motors, then definately go with the 4.6L because it'll be an easier swap.

BTW The frames are the same, so no it wont twist the frame.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Will the 5.0 fit? I have found a doner car with a 121000 mile, rebuilt 200 miles ago tranny , and some performance parts on it. I should be able to get everything I need from it. It is a 1995 so it should be compatible. What would you think, or would you spend more for a 99' 4.6?
post #6 of 16 Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

Will it fit, yes, but not without alot of modifications i'm sure. You have to remember that the 5.0L has a totally different oil pan design, so getting a 5.0L to fit where a 3.8L or 4.6L once sat isn't going to be just a bolt in. It may be that the entire front crossmember (for lack of a better term) needs to be replace to fit the 5.0L in there. Then again you'll need the tranny, probably a driveshaft, and i believe the rear end in the 3.8L is smaller so you'll need to replace it with one from a 4.6L.

Then even if you get the 5.0L to fit you'll need all of the electronics from the 5.0L car or you'll have to adapt everything from a 4.6L to fit. The electronics, and fuel injection system from your 3.8L wont work with the 5.0 or 4.6.

Trust me, you'll be much happier going with the other route. Sell your car, and buy something with a V8 already in it.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-15-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

What is the difernce between the 98 4.6, and the 99 4.6? Other that the horsepower.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

I'm not sure of all the specific changes, but i do know that the heads were changed which is what made the most difference in the horsepower increase from '98 - '99

post #9 of 16 Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0
I'm not sure of all the specific changes, but i do know that the heads were changed which is what made the most difference in the horsepower increase from '98 - '99

I think the 4.6 96 - 98 had only 225 hp. similar to the old 5.0's. The 5.0 in 95 had only 215 hp. But as you stated the 99 and up had different heads. You will be faced with a lot more uprgrades when you change from your 6 to an 8 including suspension etc. The 8'S ARE HEAVIER longer the whol enine yeards. Selling your 6 and moving on really is no tbad advice unless the car means something to you ?
post #10 of 16 Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

The car means everything to me. I thought about buying a 99 V8 but I dont like the style of those cars, and I dont have the money to be buying and painting body kits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page