Muscular Mustangs

Muscular Mustangs (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/index.php)
-   5.0L Tech (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   YOUR THOUGHTS (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038)

1991MUSTANGGT 03-12-2009 10:31 PM

YOUR THOUGHTS

I BROUGHT A 1991 MUSTANG ABOUT ALMOST A YEAR AGO I JUST REPLACED THE HOLE TOP END OF THE BLOCK AND DIDNT GET THE REPONSE I THOUGHT I SHOULD GET OUT THE CAR SO I QUESTIONED THE MILES ON THE CAR I DID MY CHECKING AROUND AND THE CAR HAS 170 SOME THOUSAND MILES ON IT I THOUGHT IT HAD 70 SOME NOW I CAN GET A BLOCK FROM MY CUZ DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GET THE BLOCK WHICH HAS 60 SOME THOUSAND MILES ON IT OR BOIL MINE 30 OVER OR WHAT EVER?

87hybrid 03-13-2009 08:30 PM

Kinda depends on your budget, future plans for the car, how you intend to use it......
If you're on a tight budget, and need the car for a daily driver, then drop in the lower milage motor. if you're sure it runs well.
If you plan on keeping this car forever, week end driving, going to the race track and car shows, then get a nice crate motor and drop it in.

1991MUSTANGGT 03-15-2009 05:24 PM

THE TRACK IS NOT IN MY PLAINS I DONT PLAIN ON SALING THIS CAR MADE THAT MISTAKE BEFORE WITH MY FIRST MUSTANG ITS A WEEKEND DRIVER WONT ONLY JUST WONT TO DO SOME MODS BUT NO RACE CAR DOE I HAVE GT 40 HEADS GT 40 UPPER LOWER INTAKE 24LB INJECTORS E303 CAM 355 GEARS COOL AIR INTAKE MASS AIR SENSOR THAT HAS BEEN CALIBRATED FOR INJECTORS

87hybrid 03-15-2009 08:10 PM

Those mods should make the car go pretty good. Price out a new short block (lower half of motor). Compare it to a complete lower end re-build.
Forged parts, of course.

quick5pnt0 03-15-2009 08:14 PM

I wouldn't change out the block unless you know there is a loss of compression.

Find someone with (or buy) a compression gauge and do a compression check. If everything checks out then you know the lack of power is elsewhere. If there is a loss of compression on any of the cylinders then you could be looking at worn rings or something on the head side. Squirting oil down the cylinder and performing the test again will give you a better idea of which. If the compression raises with the oil then the rings are most likely at fault and its time to look to swap it out.

The reason I say to do this first is because its very possible that your lack of power is due to a problem elsewhere.

1991MUSTANGGT 03-15-2009 10:08 PM

THE MOTOR I HAVE IN MIND WAS NOT DROVE ALOT AND ONLY HAVE 60 SOME THOUSAND MILES ON IT PUT THEM MODS ON THERE AND DIDNT FEEL A DIFFERENCE IN POWER I CAN GET THE MOTOR WITH THE 60 THOUSAND SOME MILES FOR AROUND 500 GET MY PARTS PUT ON THAT ONE AND TUNNED FOR LESS THAN 1000 WHAT YOU THINK

1991MUSTANGGT 03-17-2009 10:22 PM

OKAY FIRST THANKS FOR EVERY ONE'S THOUGHT I THINK I HAVE DECIDED WHAT IM GONE DO.

347STOKER MOTOR TAKE ALL MY PARTS OFF AND PUT ON THE MOTOR WHICH WILL BE GT 40 UPPER LOWER INTAKE 24 LB INJECTORS E 303 OR X CAM I HAVE BOTH GT 40 HEADS MASS AIR THAT CALIBRATED FOR THE INJECTORS THE BLOCK AND GETTING MY PARTS PUT ON IT AND PUT IN MY CAR (BLOCK BRAND NEW 0MILES) 25OO DOLLARS.

WHAT YOU THINK

87hybrid 03-18-2009 08:27 PM

Think you'll need some suspension work done to get all that power to the pavement.

1991MUSTANGGT 03-19-2009 10:15 PM

THANKS THE GUY IM GOING TO HAVE DOING THE WORK IS A MONSTER WITH THESE MUSTANGS SO ANYTHING IT NEED HE WILL GET IT DONE ALSO THINKING FOR PUTTING A SUPER CHARGER ON IT IN DO TIME

lichtyr 03-27-2009 05:05 PM

Myselfe I am a motor head if you are as well Pull the engine and bore it and build it the way you want it you have the opertunity to build a custom engine to run the way you want it to and the parts are about the same for performance as you will pay for a basic stock short block built by others :wink: