Muscular Mustangs

Muscular Mustangs (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/index.php)
-   5.0L Tech (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stalling Issue '86 GT - HELP!!!! (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139)

03-10-2005 03:13 PM

Stalling Issue '86 GT - HELP!!!!

odd stalling problem with m6 '86 GT... heres the issue... i was driving home the other day and turned a corner and the motor just shut down... i couldnt get it to start, it just cranked! i had my buddy crank the motor while i held a screwdriver between the coilwire and the distributer.... i was not getting ANY spark... we waited on the side of the road for about an hour and the car started to cool... i was about to call a tow truck and i turned the key and the car started right up!!! i figured it was my coil going out... i started driving and got about a mile down the road and it died again! I waited another hour and it started back up! made it about 20 feet and it died... Tow truck took me home :-( once i got home i went to napa and picked up a coil, put it in and the car started and ran for about an hour b4 it died... ok... now im getting pissed!!! i called my local shop and they said it was the ignition module... i went ahead and got a new one and installed that yesterday... car idles and runs smooth as ever now, but is still dead after an hour... wth could be going on?!?! im stumped now :-( the car is getting gas... it runs when cool but not hot... what could it be!?!? HELP!!

03-10-2005 03:18 PM

BTW, the motor only has 11k on it... only mods is ported E7 casting heads and side exhaust... car has ran like a champ ever since the new motor... never have had an idle or stalling problem ever

03-10-2005 09:41 PM

nobody?! i talked to a mechanic, he said the module... i told him i replaced it, he told me it was the hall effect sensor... explain...?!

quick5pnt0 03-10-2005 09:57 PM

The most common cause of a problem like that is the ignition module but since you changed it already the problem is more than likely elsewhere.
The hall effect switch is inside the distributor and could also be the cause. I'm not 100% sure how hard it is to change that, you might want to try going to napa/autozone and seeing if they stock it so you can get an idea of what it looks like and how easily it is to change.
Sorry i couldnt be more help

03-12-2005 04:57 PM

hey, thanx much, im gonna be replacing the distributer once the part comes in at napa... thats what a few mechanics told me to try... if it doesnt work, she may get a .45 inch slug in the radiator... i dunno... ijust hate throwing parts at it

quick5pnt0 03-12-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadsound
she may get a .45 inch slug in the radiator... i dunno... ijust hate throwing parts at it

I totally know that feeling. I've had a few times where i just wished i could throw the car off a cliff.

03-13-2005 08:16 PM

see i live in the mountains of CO, its alot easier to find a cliff here :-p i dunno man, i ordered the part, when it gets here we'll find out if it runs or not... the distributer thats in the car is the original one, it has about 196k on it, i read that hall effect sensors are only built to last 125-150k, i shoulda done this when i built the new motor...

quick5pnt0 03-14-2005 02:19 AM

Well let us know how it turns out.
Good luck!

03-29-2005 01:09 AM

Long live 4 headlights :D !!!! Put in a distributer today, set timing at 12*, car just doesnt seem to fire right... missing like the firing orders off, but its not... i made sure i lined up the distributer correctly when inserting... im not off a tooth or anything... no crossed plug wires or anything dumb like that, gap is good on all plugs... wires, cap, rotor, module, and coil are all brand new... wth is going on?

Good new though, car isnt stalling out after 45 mins like before...

03-29-2005 10:22 AM

I'd guess that you have a wire crossed or one of the plug wires was messed up when you pulled it off. Maybe a connector inside the plug wire boot fell off, or was loosened?

03-29-2005 07:32 PM

Timing light must be off, eyeballed it and advanced another 6 degrees(acording to my crappy light) and now it runs smooth!

quick5pnt0 03-30-2005 01:45 PM

Yea, sometimes if a timing light is a cheap brand, is old, or has been bumped around (or dropped :oops: ) they can be off by alot.

I'm glad its running good for you, thats awesome!

03-30-2005 02:37 PM

CRAP!!!!! I JUST HAD IT TOWED TO MY SHOP... I was merging onto the highway this morning and had it wrapped up in 2nd and went to shift to third and the motor stalled out.... kinda odd... i couldnt get it to restart for the life of me! Hopefully James can get it in shape for cheap... i have no clue what could be causing this crap

03-30-2005 08:28 PM

That sucks! Then there has to be some type of intermittent wiring problem some where.

03-31-2005 02:02 AM

I used to work for this shop (Bolt's Auto Repair, Littleton CO) if your down here, good people... James Bolt isnt afraid of anything (in the auto field... his wife is a different story...) He's going to look at it first thing in the AM... My lady's jeep is actualy there getting a clutch done right now and he did a rear main seal for the cost of the part for her too(38 bucks)... good people, ill know the problem by morning and pick it up and start turning wrenches!

04-01-2005 01:25 AM

Holy Heyzues! Went into the shop today and the gear on the distributer is striped on one side!!! Cam gear looks the same.... I guarentee theres at least one messed up bearing and the motor will need to be taken apart... This is more proof the Checker/Kragen/Schucks is worthless.... 3 days and 90 miles and their crappy reman distributer killed my motor... I have a meeting with the manager of the store and their district manager in the AM... With any luck they will be buying me a new motor, paying to get it put in, paying for a rental car, and paying the tow bill to the shop! If not, this is going to court! Im PISSED!!! Its great because i used to/when i need cash work at Bolt's. That way i can rape em for every penny they owe me(including labor). Way to go Checker! you just bought a new 347 stroker for me!

04-01-2005 03:44 PM

Now their saying that they the manufacturer will take 8-10 weeks to reemberse me if they deem that the parts indeed are messed up... i cant afford to fix it all myself! i cant afford to have no car for 8-10 weeks... i called the manufacturer and they said that they wont even cover all the labor costs at normal shop rate, they said they would just cover some of the parts too, not small parts such as bearings and fluids or gaskets... AND they wont give me a rental car, when i asked the lady on the phone why, she said "i dont know, its just policy"... I WILL NEVER GO THROUGH CSK AUTO AGAIN!!! as i sit now, i have no car, no money to fix my car, no money for a rental... any thoughts or ideas? i think lawyers may be getting involved soon...

quick5pnt0 04-02-2005 01:05 PM

I dont know the specifics, but i do know that if you use the wrong material cam gear with the wrong cam it will strip very quickly. I dont really know what type of cam gear should be in there, or what kind they gave you but i'd be willing to bet they gave you the wrong type which stripped and messed up your motor. That sucks!
Personally, i'd say you have no other choice but to get a lawyer and make them pay for it all. If they gave you the wrong part, then they are liable for it and everything it destroys in the process. Its total BS when they say they wont pay for stuff like gaskets, WTF....if the gaskets have to be changed when you pull the motor apart to fix the problem they caused then they have to pay for that too.
That sucks, sorry to hear it.

cmrokllr1 04-03-2005 06:04 PM

You should sue the pants off them, they are crooks!

cmrokllr1 04-03-2005 06:11 PM

I was just thinking about it, and I had a similar problem with a local garage about ten years ago. They sold me a set of tires that had cracks in them. One blew out, and the wheel got messed up. At first they refused to fix it, claiming I must have run something over, but you could see that all of the "BRAND NEW" tires were had cracks all over them.

04-03-2005 06:14 PM

cracks? in tires?

quick5pnt0 04-03-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanger189
cracks? in tires?

I second that, what do you mean "cracks"??? Do you mean like when they dry rot? If that was the case, then the shop who sold them to you was total scum, the tires were probably years and years and years old.

Did they reimburse you for the busted wheels and those ultra special super turbo dry rotted brand new tires? :lol:

04-04-2005 12:11 AM

thats pretty messed up man! selling you rotted tires...

when i was first calling around looking for prices on the distributer, they were offering cast iron, and steel gear distributers. i checked the one i pulled and it was cast iron, so thats what i went with...

cmrokllr1 04-04-2005 07:14 AM

yep they were really dry rotted
god only knows how old they must have been

quick5pnt0 04-04-2005 04:30 PM

That's insane. They're lucky the only thing needing replacement was a wheel, and not a whole car, or worse. That's definately a sign of a bad business.

08-05-2005 10:00 PM

Re: Stalling Issue '86 GT - HELP!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadsound
odd stalling problem with m6 '86 GT... heres the issue... i was driving home the other day and turned a corner and the motor just shut down... i couldnt get it to start, it just cranked! i had my buddy crank the motor while i held a screwdriver between the coilwire and the distributer.... i was not getting ANY spark... we waited on the side of the road for about an hour and the car started to cool... i was about to call a tow truck and i turned the key and the car started right up!!! i figured it was my coil going out... i started driving and got about a mile down the road and it died again! I waited another hour and it started back up! made it about 20 feet and it died... Tow truck took me home :-( once i got home i went to napa and picked up a coil, put it in and the car started and ran for about an hour b4 it died... ok... now im getting pissed!!! i called my local shop and they said it was the ignition module... i went ahead and got a new one and installed that yesterday... car idles and runs smooth as ever now, but is still dead after an hour... wth could be going on?!?! im stumped now :-( the car is getting gas... it runs when cool but not hot... what could it be!?!? HELP!!

Check out my reply on 8/5 to "sick child-re:won't start when hot". Don't spend any more money like I did until you try this less-than-an-hour-at-no-cost possibility. Worked for me big time!!

08-06-2005 07:55 PM

It was the hall effect sensor.... i already fixed it /w a new distributer... on that note, i would recoment replacing that thermostat with a new one... its probably not a great idea to leave it out...