Stalling Issue '86 GT - HELP!!!! - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-10-2005, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Stalling Issue '86 GT - HELP!!!!

odd stalling problem with m6 '86 GT... heres the issue... i was driving home the other day and turned a corner and the motor just shut down... i couldnt get it to start, it just cranked! i had my buddy crank the motor while i held a screwdriver between the coilwire and the distributer.... i was not getting ANY spark... we waited on the side of the road for about an hour and the car started to cool... i was about to call a tow truck and i turned the key and the car started right up!!! i figured it was my coil going out... i started driving and got about a mile down the road and it died again! I waited another hour and it started back up! made it about 20 feet and it died... Tow truck took me home once i got home i went to napa and picked up a coil, put it in and the car started and ran for about an hour b4 it died... ok... now im getting pissed!!! i called my local shop and they said it was the ignition module... i went ahead and got a new one and installed that yesterday... car idles and runs smooth as ever now, but is still dead after an hour... wth could be going on?!?! im stumped now the car is getting gas... it runs when cool but not hot... what could it be!?!? HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-10-2005, 03:18 PM

BTW, the motor only has 11k on it... only mods is ported E7 casting heads and side exhaust... car has ran like a champ ever since the new motor... never have had an idle or stalling problem ever
post #3 of 27 Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 PM

nobody?! i talked to a mechanic, he said the module... i told him i replaced it, he told me it was the hall effect sensor... explain...?!

post #4 of 27 Old 03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The most common cause of a problem like that is the ignition module but since you changed it already the problem is more than likely elsewhere.
The hall effect switch is inside the distributor and could also be the cause. I'm not 100% sure how hard it is to change that, you might want to try going to napa/autozone and seeing if they stock it so you can get an idea of what it looks like and how easily it is to change.
Sorry i couldnt be more help

post #5 of 27 Old 03-12-2005, 04:57 PM

hey, thanx much, im gonna be replacing the distributer once the part comes in at napa... thats what a few mechanics told me to try... if it doesnt work, she may get a .45 inch slug in the radiator... i dunno... ijust hate throwing parts at it
post #6 of 27 Old 03-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsound
she may get a .45 inch slug in the radiator... i dunno... ijust hate throwing parts at it
I totally know that feeling. I've had a few times where i just wished i could throw the car off a cliff.

post #7 of 27 Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 PM

see i live in the mountains of CO, its alot easier to find a cliff here :-p i dunno man, i ordered the part, when it gets here we'll find out if it runs or not... the distributer thats in the car is the original one, it has about 196k on it, i read that hall effect sensors are only built to last 125-150k, i shoulda done this when i built the new motor...
post #8 of 27 Old 03-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Banned

Well let us know how it turns out.
Good luck!

post #9 of 27 Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 AM

Long live 4 headlights !!!! Put in a distributer today, set timing at 12*, car just doesnt seem to fire right... missing like the firing orders off, but its not... i made sure i lined up the distributer correctly when inserting... im not off a tooth or anything... no crossed plug wires or anything dumb like that, gap is good on all plugs... wires, cap, rotor, module, and coil are all brand new... wth is going on?

Good new though, car isnt stalling out after 45 mins like before...
post #10 of 27 Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 AM

I'd guess that you have a wire crossed or one of the plug wires was messed up when you pulled it off. Maybe a connector inside the plug wire boot fell off, or was loosened?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page