User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
94 5.0 pinging

Hello Ford Fans,
I have a 1994 gt automatic that pings when the weather gets hot, over about 80. Ive tryed setting the timing back and running premum fuel. Nothing seemes to help. All that I notice is a loss of power. I have a friend with a simular car with a 5-speed and he has the same problem. We live in calif. so we have to deal with ethanol in the fuel. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanx for the input.

bvi steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a very common problem with 94-95 cars. The usual culprits are the ect (engine coolant temperature sensor) and act (air charge temperature sensor). You should be able to get these parts from any auto parts store.

Before you dive into buying those parts though there are few things you can check. First off i just want to make sure of something....you have tried more than one gas station right? I've had problems with certain gas stations always having bad fuel.....its just something to think about.
Another thing you might want to try doing is cleaning the MAF (mass air flow meter) We have a tech article about it in the Maintenance/Tech section.

Also you might want to try cleaning off the ACT. Like i stated above the ACT can cause your engine to ping. Usually it's nothing more than this sensor just being old. But you might get lucky and find that its gunked up with air filter oil or something along those lines. The ACT is the sensor that fits into the rubber hose that goes between your air filter box, and the throttle body. When you remove it you should be able to see that the end of it is nothing more than a little wire. If i remember correctly that wire seems to have paint on it but this is normal. You might want to try gently cleaning this wire with q-tip and some rubbing alchohol.

One last thing. Make sure your spout connector is still connected.

Hope it helps.

post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2005, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
hes right its usually the ect or act

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page