tach needle stuck - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
tach needle stuck

My 95 Cobra was in an accident last year (front end damage/bags blown), so over the winter I did considerable engine work (port/polish, 5-angle, replace valve trainÖ).

Last night I fired up the car for the first time since doing the engine work and noticed my tach needle was on the wrong side of the rubber needle stop at zero RPM. When I start the car it rises from underneath the needle and acts like itís trying to display RPMs but canít make it past the rubber needle stop.

Anyone seen this before and know how to fix it (without tearing out the cluster and moving needle manually)? Is this a symptom of the wreck (though, I didnít notice it before last night)? Is there a way to ďresetĒ the tach?

Thanks,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure you dont want to hear this, but the only way to fix that is by tearing out the instrument cluster and moving the needle back to where it's supposed to be. Make sure its close enough to the gauge "background" (for lack of a better term) so it doesn't jump past the pin again.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah, that really wasn't what I wanted to hear - but O'well - time to tear'er apart.

I don't think it made it past the needle counter clockwise - the stop needle is still stiff (hum...) and doesn't look like it would allow the tach needle to pass by. And it appears close enough to the "background" to not simple "slip by".

How does the needle end up on the wrong side, any of you run into this before?

post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw it happen on another type of car but it was caused by the needle bouncing down and going past the little pin.

You never know, maybe the spring or whatever is in it broke and allowed it to spin all of the way around?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page