Mustang Sliding in the Rain and just after...PLEASE HELP!!! - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mustang Sliding in the Rain and just after...PLEASE HELP!!!

I need some advice; I have a 92 Conv with 9 inch rims all the way around. The tires are a couple of months old (still new) the tires on the fronts are Falken 245-45-17 ZE-502's and the rear are Sumitomo 275-40-17's. When I hit the brakes when it rains or just after it rains, I mean no rain even for 2 hours the front tires lock up and I hydroplane. This is even at slow speeds 25-35 mph. The brakes are good and I even installed Cobra rear discs, and it still is doing it. This is just plain dangerous as well as SCARY as ****!!! I've owned Fox body cars forever (I'm 46) and never had this kind of braking problems. Is it the front tires? Their rated M+S. A mechanic said that itís because the tires are too wide for this light of a car. Please let me know. [email protected]
Thanx for the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Banned

That's an odd problem. I'm not sure what it could be. Did it do it before the rear brake install? Does it have a proportioning valve? Maybe the stock proportioning valve isn't right for the rear discs which is basically making only the fronts have any real braking power. I don't know, i'm just thinking out loud.

As for the tire, i dont know about those particular tires, but as long as they aren't all out road racing tires they shouldnt be the cause. I've ridden in alot of Mustangs with wide tires and it wasnt that bad in the rain (although then again they didnt help either)

post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Reply to the response

They did it before I did the rear discs. The car stops great in the dry. although I amunable to lock them up no matter how hard I hit the brake peddle. I had thought about putting the Cobra discs on the front, but the car is lowered with H&R springs and I have about an inch of clearance between the tire and fender with the 9inch wide rim. The Cobra disc has a 2inch wide hat to the standards 1inch. I also installed the 93 Cobra Master cycl. and brake vacuum canister.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2006, 02:18 AM

sorry to get off topic, but how did you fit the 275 17's in the rear? did you have to lip the fenders or is the rear not lowered? curious cause i have some for my own but they dont look like they'll fit, thanks!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 AM

I believe it's the proportioning valve causing you trouble. It's directing too much of the braking pressure to the front wheel causing premature lock-up. You need to get an adjustable proportioning valve and tune it to your vehicle so that the brakes work correctly.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 AM

i agree with snake, i have a 90 coupe and i have some what of the same problem but not to that extent. i'll pretty much bet that thats what your problem is too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page