'88 GT throttle sticking problem - Page 2 - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes I did get a change when I advanced it and retarded it idle wise. So I advanced it all the way then loosened the idle screw so it would idle lower (750rpm)and drove it. I retarded it all the way and tightened the screw so it would idle higher (again 750rpm) and drove it. I only noticed alittle difference from retarding it (ran alittle crappy) but when I advanced it, it didn't feel any different from the way it was at 10º.

Bright Regetta Blue 1988 Mustang GT 5.0

White 1996 Mustang GT
*Flowmaster 40 series catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 12-04-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did get a change when I advanced it and retarded it idle wise. So I advanced it all the way then loosened the idle screw so it would idle lower (750rpm)and drove it. I retarded it all the way and tightened the screw so it would idle higher (again 750rpm) and drove it. I only noticed alittle difference from retarding it (ran alittle crappy) but when I advanced it, it didn't feel any different from the way it was at 10º. Does this mean that I possibly need to replace a stretched timing chain?

White 1996 Mustang GT
post #13 of 23 Old 12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

That may be possible if the car has a ton of miles on it, but then again I don't know how much difference you'd feel in the first place. I personally have never seen a huge difference when advancing the timing.

post #14 of 23 Old 12-04-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll just pull the engine over the winter and buy a trickflow trackheat kit, forged balanced rotating assembly 306ci", and send the block to be bored. Is it true that if you convert your 5.0 302 to a 347 stroker you will have oil problems? I talked to a guy from a Mustang performance shop and he told me if I want it stroked to go with a 331ci" not a 347ci" because they have some kind of oil problem.

White 1996 Mustang GT
post #15 of 23 Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

As far as I can remember the difference between the 347 and 331 is that the 347 has a longer rod which requires a shorter piston which creates a situation where the piston pin is in the same location as the lower piston ring. This usually results in the engine burning alot of oil.

Now whether or not you'll experience any real problems with that depends on who you talk to because there are alot of guys out there who do run 347s on their daily drivers, but if you want to keep things on the same side go with the 331 which doesn't have the same problem.

post #16 of 23 Old 12-05-2006, 12:37 AM

yes the wrist pin in the lower oil ring grove IS a big problem with alot of 347 kits. Coast High Performance (CHP) however has taken care of that problem. ive attached a link below to there 347 page. they also have other kits available. if you want to build a good 347 street motor, this IS the way to go, no questions asked!!!

http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_347.htm
post #17 of 23 Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I think this is the way I am going to go when I build my 5.0 this winter. Should I just start with a brand new block or should I reuse my old block and just have it freshened up/bored .030" over? Yes I do have many trees in my backyard but unfortunately none of them are money trees so I need to work with what I have now and what I will make over the winter.

White 1996 Mustang GT
post #18 of 23 Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 AM

reusing the old block is fine as long as you have it inspected before you have all the work done to it. it would suck to put money into a block thats no good, but chances are that its fine cause its running now. i was reading some of your past posts and i noticed that you said that you had been moving the idle screw in and out, have you been adjusting the tsp voltage as well? if not, that could be a big problem. see any time you move the idle screw, you have to adjust the tsp voltage with it. the voltage should be .98 vdc. if your not sure what im talking about, let me know and i'll explain it or you can do a search for it, its pretty common.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

I set the TPS voltage when I first put the throttle body on. I haven't touched anything since then except for when I just played around with it a couple days ago. It was .95 last time I checked it so maybe I should readjust it. What are some of the things I would notice if the TPS voltage is off?

White 1996 Mustang GT
post #20 of 23 Old 12-07-2006, 02:32 AM

the voltage would mostly affect the idle, but could cause some other problems to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page