User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
94 GT....automatic transmission

Hi im new to this but i need some help.
Im going to hopefully purchase a 1994 GT tomorrow with an automatic transmission. The car has 65000 miles on it. I looked at it the other night and it looked to be in good condition but want to see it in the day tomorrow......ok my concern is i heard that 1994 auto trans have been a problem and im wondering if anyone knows if this is true and if there is anything i should be looking for. I know to smell the fluid but the owner is a mechanic so its possible he could cover things up....can anyone tell me what i need to look for and if they know of any problems with 1994 GT automatics?????? Please help
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 PM

I have a 94 mustang gt with an automatic. I cant really tell you what to look for but I know I have had my transmission rebuilt twice. The first time was shortly after I bought the car in 97 and the second time in 02. The second time was probally my fault due to stupidity. As long as your not doing neutral drops youll probally be alright. I havent had any problems out of mine since I grew up and treated it with some respect. Your take off sucks when driving an automatic though so I would suggest a stall and gears. I went with 4.10s but would recommend 3.73s due to the high rpms when traveling the interstates. At 75mph im running around 3400 rpms. If I was to do it again I would go with the 3.73. I know this doesnt reallly answer your question of what to look for but just thought id share my story and good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Make sure it takes off well from a stop (no slipping), and shifts smoothly through all the gears. Put some repair money aside. This is a 13 year old car, it's bound to need something fixed.

'87 GT with a battery

post #4 of 8 Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

Just take it for a ride and see how it feels. Like 87hybrid said above feel for slipping and smooth shifting. Also see if they'll allow you to take it on road where you can see if it shifts into overdrive. If everything feels OK then you're good to go.

I once owned a '92 GT with an automatic and had pretty good luck with it.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info

Thank you everyone for giving me info. I ended up purchasing the Mustang......... im sooooooo happy!!!!!! It didnt slip when i drove it.... i brought a knowledgeable friend and he checked the tranny fluid and it was pink.. Monday i have an appointment for an inspection and oil change and i am going to have the tranny fluid changed so i feel better. I have some nice plans for this car. Unfortunetly its about 10 degrees here this week and possible snow next week so she will sit in the garage for a bit after Monday. After exhaust, rims and tires and stereo i may look into the gear suggestion. Thank you again
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

Good luck with it!

post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2007, 05:17 PM

where are you from? Always looking for new mustang buddies in my area.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

where i am from

Im from Old Forge PA (pizza capital of the world LOL) . Located between Scranton and Wilkes Barre....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page