1987 Mustang GT Headlight switch. - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1987 Mustang GT Headlight switch.

I have a 1987 Mustang GT with fog lights on it. I have quit using them, because the wiring to the fog lamps gets so hot, that it starts melting the back of the switch. I have seen on ebay that they have a switch that is suppose to be an upgrade to the original, and has a flashing light in it that tells when the wiring gets hot. I have also found a site that says the wiring to the fog lights is too small, and really creates alot of resistance, and this is where the heat is coming from. Ford says they have never heard of such a switch, and their service bulletin 89-11-19 addresses the problem, but says the wiring harnes to the lights, the switch and connector must be replaced. Has anyone else run into this problem, and is there such an upgraded switch out there? Ford says no, but this switch has the same number as the original number, which Ford says they still sell for 135 bucks. Just wondering if anyone might have a different approach to the fog lamp senario, or is this RARE switch just a bogus thing?.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 AM

Mine didn't work when I got the car, and I just rewired the lights to a toggle.

'87 GT with a battery
post #3 of 7 Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 AM

My light switch was melted when I got my car. I had to rewire a new connector so I could use my headlights and fogs. I've seen that upgraded connector and wiring on ebay. I don't know if it really works or not though. Unless they used a larger wire with less resistance I would assume it is going to do the same as the original.

Bright Regetta Blue 1988 Mustang GT 5.0

White 1996 Mustang GT
*Flowmaster 40 series catback

post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

I don't know of any switch with a light that comes on when its hot. I assume that is something custom.

The melting of the switch is a common problem, and I believe Ford is right that is has to do with replacing the wires with a larger gauge. You may be able to get a switch on ebay or from somebody chopping their car for parts, but since Ford is still selling them I'd jump on it. Also see if Ford can still get the upgraded wiring harness, if not then you'll need to replace the wires individually.

If you don't want to go through all of that then you can simply just rewire the lights using a heavier gauge wire and a switch from an auto parts store. If you don't like the idea of having an aftermarket switch sticking out of your dash you can always hide it under the dash, under the seat, in one of the glove boxes, or even in the ash tray.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Sometimes something old might work in todays cars.

Just a thought, but you might try one of the old Ford hi-beam foot switches for the fog lights. This way there is no unsightly aftermarket switch on your dash and you can activate it without removing your hands or fumbling under the dash while driving.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 AM
Banned

Air Jordan

In a way this is something that many of us already imitate with our own offices and private offices, but some of us go one step further and create actual secret dens where we go for some quiet time. It is where individuals can achieve their ultimate destiny. Lingerie and Undergarments in Web World DirectorySells men and women's designer underwear and lingerie including bras, briefs,authentic-provence.com, boxers and t-shirts by Armani, Gucci, Dolce Gabbana, Cavalli, Versace and more. Brady has been very durable and had some terrific seasons as the Patriots rely on their leader to run the teams offense. The black crystal candelabra will give your event an elegant and grandeur effect with white table covers accents with black table runners. On our left (see photo) loomed the columns of the north wing of the Propylaia that housed an art gallery in antiquity,authentic-provence. This means that you use your funds to Air Jordan 2014 your Air Jordan 1s and services to your best and loyal customers on a regular and repeat basis. Each building has a controlled number of fiber optic wires between them. This was a couple of years ago. Gospel Air Jordan 2's styles and sounds are ever-changing and always seem to evolve over the years, but the core message of God's redeeming love and grace has always remained the same. Where were they last seen? There are some pills that promise to allow a Air Jordan 10 to lose weight in days,Air Jordan 3 womens : 2014 air jordans, Cheap jordan shoes, 2014 new style air jordans shoes for sale,authentic-provence.com, but this is a false claim, and there is no evidence of potency. ???????? Air Jordan Air Jordan 3 029zoqLvx20 Air Jordan 2 090zwz4A571
post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

UK Nike Ai

They're giving their customers away to the other guy",Womens Nike Air Max UK - nike air max 90, and in some cases it appeared to be foolish. Wholesale VacuumsThe only way to buy for a Air Jordan 23 that needs a lot of vacuum cleaners,Nike Air Max 95 Womens UK - cheap nike air max 90, such as one in the restaurant or hotel industry,Womens UK Nike Air Max TAILWIND+4 - Mens Nike Air Max Shoes UK, is through wholesale. Every time RIPD has a chance to show some originality,UK Nike Air Max Womens TN - UK Nike Air Max 90, it refrains. evencreated an underground railroad Air Jordan 4 to help guide close to 300 downed airmen to safety. These powerhouse institutions have the ability,Womens UK Nike Air Max 90 - nike air max 90 sale, due to their deep pockets, to push entire Air Jordan 3.5s higher and lower. I wanted him to have a nice suit, but I was afraid it would be too much work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page