User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
89 Notch Surging Idle

Hello All-
I did all the suggested idle fixes, but every so often, she shoots up to like 2500 RPM's - and holds steady, then drops.. IAC was changed by previous owner, & looks like a cheapo (no Ford stamp)- but it's clean as a whistle.. At first it would bob between 1500 & 500 up & down, but was better after I cleaned everything & added a MAC CAI intake.. Does everyone agree IAC??
Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89Notch.jpg (111.6 KB, 559 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 PM

You guys and your idle problems. Now mine started acting up today. On first cold start-up it surged really bad, almost stalled. Blipped the pedal a couple times and all was fine........ hope this isn't an epidemic. Are we all getting poor quality fuel at once?

'87 GT with a battery
post #3 of 8 Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

Re: 89 Notch Surging Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE
Hello All-
I did all the suggested idle fixes, but every so often, she shoots up to like 2500 RPM's - and holds steady, then drops.. IAC was changed by previous owner, & looks like a cheapo (no Ford stamp)- but it's clean as a whistle.. At first it would bob between 1500 & 500 up & down, but was better after I cleaned everything & added a MAC CAI intake.. Does everyone agree IAC??
Thanks...
It definitely could be the IAC, but it's really hard to say for sure. Put it this way you wouldn't be the first to have a bad IAC motor that is brand new.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM

surging idle

You can have idle problems if air filter of cold air kit does not go into fender well. This can be caused by fan wash ,the air from the fan can disrupt the air flow thru the mass air meter. You can solve this by putting a shield over the airfilter, or put it into the fenderwell.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM

idle probs man i hate them

ok well i had the problem too but mine was a leak where the egr and iac and coolant runs by throttle body. i determined this with carb cleaner, i started the car and sprayed the carbcleaner around the egr and throttle body where coolant runs through. and my idle increased then back down. indcates i had a vaccum leak. i bought all new gaskets and resealed up the whole area from egr to iac to those two gaskets that are between the throttle body. you could have a leak somewhere else this might not even help but it worked for me and be carefull of the spray you could start a fire!!
post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87hybrid
You guys and your idle problems. Now mine started acting up today. On first cold start-up it surged really bad, almost stalled. Blipped the pedal a couple times and all was fine........ hope this isn't an epidemic. Are we all getting poor quality fuel at once?
Ya know I was thinking the same thing. I have been searching an awful lot to try and locate my problem (I posted here as well 93 5.0LX). Any way I've seen a lot of this type of thing posted in the last couple of weeks. What the **** is going on?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM

you guys need to check for codes. check your o2 sensors and coolant temp sensors.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2008, 09:22 PM

have you checked your fuel injectors? Mine was doing a lot of the same and my injectors are junk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page