73 Mustang 302 has bad vibration - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
73 Mustang 302 has bad vibration

I got my first Mustang recently, it is a 1973 Grande with a 302 engine. It didn't have any pulleys or anything on the front of the motor. I got it to start and it seemed to run smooth. I bought a 3 bolt pulley off of ebay, put my belts on and it vibrated till the belts came off. I was told to buy a harmonic balancer. Went to O'Reilleys and they sold me a 4 bolt saying that was the right one for the 73. So I put a 4 bolt pulley on it with the 4 bolt harmonic balancer and it still shakes really bad.

The harmonic balancer that was on this one was really small and only had 3 bolts. Now I am being told that the 3 bolt is the damper, not a harmonic balancer and that this engine is balanced internally. Do I need to go back to the 3 bolt system? Can the damper go bad and cause this vibration? The car sat up for 12 yrs before i got it.

If I do need to go back to the 3 bolt damper does anyone know a part number? On ebay it has 28oz and 50oz dampers and i don't know which one I need. My engine code is an F.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 AM

IIRR, Yes, you need the 3 bolt system because they are balanced differently. Additionally, I would not reccomed using any oem pulley's for other than a show vehicle. Reason: the pulley's are made from stamped steel, metal fatigue is setting in meaning the pulley can and will fail sending shrapnel (chunks of metal) through the hood, radiator and possibly engine accessories. These "faults" can only be detected by magnfluxing the components in most cases, however sometimes you can place a pulley on a lathe, spin at a slow rpm and check for visual deformities. A few uyears ago I was traveling back from a cruise night when 2 cars, both 1960's, T-Bird and Mustang, both experienced sudden pulley failures- onewhen through the hood the other through the radiator, destroying the battery, wiring and ac. I pulled my pulley's and found metal fatigue, replaced them with new aftermarket units (while I went with March for show purposes, less expensive units are available).

Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 3 Old 12-23-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

my 73 mustang with a 302

Since my last post I have found out while trying to install a new set of plugs,the cars year and engine calls for autolite 45's my engine has autolite ap24's,The 45 takes a 13/16 wrench and the plugs is the large threads while the AP24's use the 5/8's wrench with the small threads,So obviousley things have been changed. Can anyone help me with info on locating the engine ID number..One book says by the starter and one says by the coil but I didn't find it in either place..can someone give me an example of what to look for ( how many digits and how many letters ) and where they can be found on a 302 thats old enough to have points and condensor.THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOU HELP it's coming along well..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 stang.jpg (30.2 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg mystang.jpg (31.7 KB, 457 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page