Raw Horsepower or Supercharger, which is better? - Page 2 - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 03-29-2005, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Kenny Belle over Paxton Procharger and Vortech?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 03-29-2005, 05:04 PM

paxton and vortech are centrifugal
post #13 of 26 Old 03-29-2005, 05:43 PM

What type of blower is on the 03-04 Cobras? I thought Ford used Vortechs, but I'm not sure.

Also, doesn't the Mach1 have the same exact engine as the Cobra except it doesn't have the Supercharger? If so, I could put a Blower on the Mach1 and have the same performance as the Cobra, right?

post #14 of 26 Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURTNEM
What type of blower is on the 03-04 Cobras? I thought Ford used Vortechs, but I'm not sure.

Also, doesn't the Mach1 have the same exact engine as the Cobra except it doesn't have the Supercharger? If so, I could put a Blower on the Mach1 and have the same performance as the Cobra, right?
03 and 04 Cobra have Roots style Eaton superchargers. Mach1's do not have the same engine as the Cobras. Although they are both DOHC, 4 valve engines, the Cobra engines are way better than Mach 1 engines. First of all Mach1 engines comes with a 10:1 compression ratio which is way too high if your gonna run boost on that engine. 03-04 Cobra engines are designed to withstand a tremendous amount of HP. For example, one of my friends installed a ProTurbo Kits turbo on his mach1. Guess what?, his engine didnt last that long. So he went and bought an 04 cobra shortblock. Now his car is running like a champ, soon to go up on the boost.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlowLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURTNEM

03 and 04 Cobra have Roots style Eaton superchargers. Mach1's do not have the same engine as the Cobras. Although they are both DOHC, 4 valve engines, the Cobra engines are way better than Mach 1 engines. First of all Mach1 engines comes with a 10:1 compression ratio which is way too high if your gonna run boost on that engine. 03-04 Cobra engines are designed to withstand a tremendous amount of HP. For example, one of my friends installed a ProTurbo Kits turbo on his mach1. Guess what?, his engine didnt last that long. So he went and bought an 04 cobra shortblock. Now his car is running like a champ, soon to go up on the boost.
Do you think the same thing would've happened if he'd put a Supercharger on the Mach1 instead of the Turbo? I know people who get Superchargers installed on factory Mustang GTs, so I can't imagine someone having a Mach1 and not being able to put a Supercharger on it.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can put a supercharger/turbo on a Mach 1, but you have to be careful of how much boost you put through it because like slowlx stated it has a high compression ratio, and the shortblock wasn't necessarily "meant" to have a power adder on it. But then again neither were the 5.0L fox body mustangs. You can do it but you have to be careful, and you cant really expect it to handle the same power as the Cobra.

As for the engines..... I don't know the exact specs off the top of my head, but the '03 Cobra has many more things done to it internally that makes it able to withstand the power of its supercharger. Ford assumed that people would modify it so they went to great lengths to make sure that motor could handle the extra power.
Although the Mach 1's engine isnt the same as the '03 Cobra engine it is almost (if no 100%) exactly the same as the previous model's Cobra engine. As far as i know the Mach 1's enigne is the '02 Cobra engine.

post #17 of 26 Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0
You can put a supercharger/turbo on a Mach 1, but you have to be careful of how much boost you put through it because like slowlx stated it has a high compression ratio, and the shortblock wasn't necessarily "meant" to have a power adder on it. But then again neither were the 5.0L fox body mustangs. You can do it but you have to be careful, and you cant really expect it to handle the same power as the Cobra.

As for the engines..... I don't know the exact specs off the top of my head, but the '03 Cobra has many more things done to it internally that makes it able to withstand the power of its supercharger. Ford assumed that people would modify it so they went to great lengths to make sure that motor could handle the extra power.
Although the Mach 1's engine isnt the same as the '03 Cobra engine it is almost (if no 100%) exactly the same as the previous model's Cobra engine. As far as i know the Mach 1's enigne is the '02 Cobra engine.
'02 Cobra engine? must be a typo..lol. Mach 1 blocks are aluminum blocks, with aluminum heads, while the 03 Cobra has a cast iron block with aluminum heads, but with Manley rods, and other beefier specs. 99-01 Cobra engines are crap! lol.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

HA, you got me, all i thought of when i typed that was "the year before the '03 came out"....LOL
The '03 Cobra engine rocks, i've read of guys putting BIG HP through those things without a problem.

post #19 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 06:21 PM

Don't the 03-04 Cobras have the same engine?
post #20 of 26 Old 03-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Yes
99 and 01 had the same engine, a 320 horsepower aluminum block DOHC.
There was no '00 or '02.....

And '03-'04 are the same, a 390 horsepower cast iron block supercharged DOHC

EDIT: BTW, there is a section on the main page of this site with specs on all years of the SVT Cobra.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page