User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just joined the ranks of Mustang owners

Hi there

I recently bought a well used 2000 V6 convertible and had a few questions.

How big is the fuel tank? gague drops like a rock about 40 miles per quarter and the light first goes on with about 180 miles. On this last tank I put in 12.8 gals and got about 15 mpg.

The other main question is that the engine seems to run very hot, and this heat follows the axle with the hiump being very hot through to the rear seats. Quite a bit of heat eminates from the rear wheels and is very noticible.

Thanks for any input

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

15.7 Gallons

As for the heat, does the gauge go up? The heat behind the axle could just be the exhaust, it may just sit very close to the underside of the car. I would assume that if it were something in the rear axle generating that much heat you'd probably have heard some horrible noises by now, but you may want to check the rear end fluid just to be safe.

Otherwise if the gauge is actually rising and the car is nearly overheating that could be various things. The most common problem would be the thermostat, but obviously make sure you check the antifreeze level first. Other than that it could be the radiator is clogged, the fan isn't kicking in on time or at all, or possibly a head gasket.

Good luck with the new ride!

post #3 of 3 Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. The fuel light seems to come on at about 160 miles but when I filled it up almost 30 miles later I only took 12.8 gals. While 15 mpg is not great it does not seem that bad for this car although I was expecting more. Trying to see if I can get at least 200 miles on a tank.

The engine does not show running hot. it seems to just be the HUMP pretty much the whole lenght of it. also heat comes from the rear tire wells. I will have them look at the rear axle fulid when I next have the car in the shop.

I have already put 2k into repairs on the car, but that is still alot better than renting a car for 6 + months until I decide if I really want a convertible, and if so which one.

Just looked at a Prowler, and while it is gorgeous I just could not see driving that on a daily basis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page