Muscular Mustangs

Muscular Mustangs (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/index.php)
-   Latest News (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Shelby Cobra GT500 Convertible (https://www.muscularmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280)

quick5pnt0 09-29-2005 11:24 AM

Shelby Cobra GT500 Convertible

This topic is for discussion of the following:
https://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/ne ... rtible.php

quick5pnt0 09-29-2005 12:33 PM

BTW Autoweek has more images of it here
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/ ... ges/01.htm

The images they have seem to be from Ford Motor Company so we should have larger copies of those in our gallery soon.

Mustang Maniac 09-29-2005 04:54 PM

This is a complete downgrade from the GT convertible. I already didn't approve of the ugly wheels and that spoiler is GIGANTIC! As I've stated before, The "GT 500" stripes remind me more of a V6 than an old Shelby. They should've completely left Shelby influences away from the car. Also, what in the world are those covers doing on the scoops? Forget the scoops all together...the GT's flat hood looks much better on the car than anything else you could slap on there.

Interesting though...this bad design comes in as John Coletti leaves and Hau Thai Tang comes in. That's all

09-29-2005 10:27 PM

I'll have a hard time deciding on how much I like, or don't like, the new GT500 design until I get to see it in a color other than red. Red sucks. I'll have to disagree that the styling of the new cobra is a complete mistake though. I think that the more aggressive front end sets the cobra apart from the GT and V6 models very well. And the spoiler....you have to remember.....is functional. That means it actually works to produce downforce for the rear end at high speeds. They could have sacrificed utility to make it smaller and more attractive, but performance was key in their mindset here......and I have to agree with that choice. The only thing that really bugs me about this car is the ugly giant snake emblems everywhere. They just seem too cartoonish.....especially to have put on the front grill. The snakes need to be toned down, or eliminated all together.

09-29-2005 10:37 PM

I like the center striping on the coupe model....but have to agree that the convertible does better without them. The side stripes.......ehhh, I could do without them, though I don't think they do any serious wrong to the overall look of the car. Just depends on your tastes I guess.....some ppl like stripes, some don't.
I'm not sure what the story with the hood is. I loved the heat extractors on the hood of the GT500 coupe show car at the New York revealing....but it looks like they've gone a bit of a different route for the production model. It probably won't look bad on a darker color, but on red.....those black vent covers suck. I hope the covers can be removed or something.
...And Maniac, it wouldn't do much good to call this the GT500 if Shelby wasn't involved. My guess is that had SVT been the sole developer again for this cobra, we'd be looking at a 400 hp "GTO racer" instead of a 475hp "Corvette killer". At that thought, I'm glad some of the old Shelby cobra influences will be present.....but at the end of the day: if you think the car sucks, don't go test drive or buy one :P

Mustang Maniac 09-30-2005 05:08 PM

LOL! Of course I wouldn't mind being given the car, but just too many things that don't look right to me for me to think about going out and buying 1 if I ever could, especially with the added weight.

I actually think the front end has a weaker appearance than the GT. It's funny that the spoiler is for aerodynamics...the whole car is anti-aerodynamic. Look at the front end of the thing. It's massive. LOL!

quick5pnt0 09-30-2005 07:37 PM

I'm still not 100% sure of this car one way or the other. There are some pictures that make it look awesome, while others don't. First off until i see this car in another color with the stripes i won't be able to be totally sure how i like it because i'm not a big fan of the red/white combo. With that said i think the stripes look much better on the coupe. The convertible stripes remind me of something on a V6. Personally i'd like to see a blue/white and black/white version of the coupe with only the top stripes. OR maybe a sonic blue or black version of the coupe without any stripes. I saw some of the test mules without stripes and they were more to my liking.

I find the convertible version of this car quite bland looking. I can't put my finger on it, but it just lacks something.

Anyone notice the hood vents? I am totally bummed at those covers they now have over them on the vert. I thought the coupe's hood vents look great, but these ugly black grills that now cover the vents are horrible. Hopefully they won't make the production version.

All in all, with the right color, the original hood vents, and a good pricetag i would very happy with the coupe.

09-30-2005 08:39 PM

Well, as I've said....the jury's still out on the new cobra for me. Guess it really doesn't matter anyways, I'm enjoying my 05 GT too much to get worked up over it. I wouldn't put down final judgement on the GT500 till one gets to see it up close in the flesh. I had the same experience with my new GT. I had only seen them in photos....and while cool looking though they were, I was hopelessly in love when I finally got to see one in person on the dealership lot.
The cobra is out of my price range anyways.....and I'm not a fan of convertibles either. To someone considering one, I say stick with the coupe. Go for a GT if you want a convertible.
I can pass on the cobra for now........but if SVT puts out a fly Mach 1 for the new gen mustangs, I'm gonna be in a serious financial dilema. lol

09-30-2005 08:48 PM

Yea Maniac, I hear ya......aerodynamic spoilers don't seem to have much place on a the new mustangs. I do find that my 05 doesn't cut through the wind nearly as good as my 98 does. It's a tradeoff I guess for a classic body style. But for such a brute monster that the GT500 will be, I guess it needs all the airflow help it can get.
I guess I'd agree that if given the oppurtunity to design the new cobra myself I would have gone with alot more of a departure in the body style from the GT and V6 models. .....but, that's just me 8) Seems like Ford wanted to use as many of the same body pieces and fittings from the GT and V6 models as they could. Of course, we may see one drive by us on the road one day next year and find ourselves daydreaming into oncoming traffic. lol. Stranger things have happened.
I just hope it holds up mechanically to all the hype. It'll be nice to see all the GTO and Camaro ss owners in my area wettin themselves when one of these monsters pulls alongside. :twisted:

quick5pnt0 09-26-2006 10:10 AM