LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ford to drop the Cobra name from Shelby Cobra GT500

This topic is for discussion of the following:

The Cobra is dead! According to Robert Lane at BON Ford is dropping the Cobra name from the "Shelby Cobra GT500". The car will now be refered to as the "Mustang Shelby GT500". Although the name is being dropped the GT500 will still have Cobra logos oddly enough. This doesn't mean the SVT Cobra is completely dead though, as it may come back on another version of the Ford Mustang in the future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 PM

This sounds like a joke somebody posted on some random message board just to agravate everyone. But whatever. "Ford SVT Mustang Shelby GT500"...what an annoying name. It sounds like one of those cheap Home Shopping network products that need to be given random add-on adjectives in order to sell, such as "Handsewn custom fluffy pillow with light and feathery reggae trim". LOL!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yea, that's a pretty strange move for Ford SVT. I can get over them going with the GT500 designation over the Cobra name........but why are the Cobra emblems gonna remain? Kinda weird. Honestly, I don't think I'd be all that disappointed to see those huge snake emblems go....would personally prefer just to have a regular 'stang in the front grill and maybe some special GT500 sidebadges for the fenders.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 AM

Dead Cobra

I agree with ya. I'd like to see the stang instead of the Cobra emblems too, but the Cobra logo has been associated with high performance mustangs since the 60's. It does make it standout, but as a nostalgic traditionalist, I prefer to see the shelby name alone on the new mustang; I don't think it'll need anything else to seperate it from the pack as something special.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Yea same here, no cobra emblems and put on some GT.500 emblems
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 PM

I am mad that ford droped the cobra name and I hear that SVT will not "hand build" the engine as well. It is like a slap in the face for SVT, they built a super fast mustang and shelby loved it, but now that it is built he is going to drop them out of it. I guess that makes my car value go up a little hehe. i also heard that ford might use the name on other cars that are not mustang's or SVT's just to boost sales. not good, that is what chevy did with their SS. I also see that SVT has made the lightning, well kinda. it is called 2007 Ford SVT Sport Trac Adrenalin "SUT", it is a four passenger, all-wheel drive SUVT. with 21 inch wheels, 6000lb tow rating, 390hp/390lb-ft, supercharged V8 6-speed that will do 1/4 mile in 13sec. that will get you there!

-jay 2001 Silver SVT COBRA
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Jay
I totally agree. I haven't heard that they won't be building the engines by hand anymore but if that's the case i feel it'll remove some of the value and prestige that these cars have.
As for the lightining, i guess the adrenalin could be seen as a truck that is somewhere between a regular pickup and the lightning. From what i've heard there will be an actual lightning in the next few years. I don't know anything specific but if they want it to compete it'll need to be upwards of 500hp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page