Muscular Mustangs - Reply to Topic
Thread: What is involved in switching from speed density to MAF? Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
08-13-2005 12:40 PM
quick5pnt0 It works off a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. This sensor reads the engine vacuum, and from that reading decides what the air/fuel ratio would be. On the other hand the MAF reads how much air is actually entering the engine.
With a MAP system, if you run something like a power adder, or larger cam the engine vacuum changes but the MAP is still looking for the vacuum of the original engine. So the MAP reads things wrong and the air/fuel ratio is also set wrong.

08-13-2005 11:47 AM
red87gt How does speed density work?? is it a sensor like MAF?? When you install a MAF do you have to remove something else?
08-08-2005 10:29 PM
just did this conversion on mine. I went with the cobra mass air conversion kit from summit. It came with the X3Z mass air computer (same as in the 1993 cobra model), 24# injectors (the blue ones), and a 70mm mass air meter. I had to buy the 4 wire harness from anderson ford motorsport. Everything installed easily and works fabulous. Highly recommended. The car idles perfectly now and it also runs a ton better. It was worth the money. I spent around 700.00 but I wanted the peace of mind that I had a warranty and brand new parts...
07-23-2005 12:54 AM
Yea, go find a wrecked car and get the parts from it. Those prices are too much.
07-20-2005 02:07 PM
quick5pnt0 Alright, i dont know what i was thinking but i guess you also need the computer that is compatible with the maf, and the proper size injectors that are calibrated to whatever mass airflow sensor you are going with.
Here are a few kits that brothers performance sells....
Ford racing parts conversion kit:

Pro-M conversion kit: ... 11115.html

Just the wiring harness alone: ... omawh.html

IMHO these kits aren't cheap. If you buy the cheaper Pro-M kit you get a 75mm MAF with it. BUT you dont get the injectors like the ford kit has. Again i'd just try to find somebody parting a car out and buy all of this stuff as a package from them. I've seen people selling this stuff many times.

07-20-2005 02:01 PM
quick5pnt0 I could be forgetting something but off the top of my head i think all you need is the mass airflow sensor, and the wiring harness that connects to it. You can either use a stock mass airflow sensor or buy an aftermarket one. As for the wiring harness your best bet might be to find somebody that is parting a car out for that.
I believe brothers performance used to sell a conversion kit that included everything you need but i dont know if that is still available.

07-19-2005 08:09 PM
What is involved in switching from speed density to MAF?

Hey everyone, im new here, my question is as stated in the topic What is involved in switching from speed density to MAF? My 87 GT cobra is a speed density model, everyone keeps telling me to convert it to MAF. What do i need to accomplish this?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome