rear gears and etc - Muscular Mustangs
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear gears and etc

I recently purchased an '02 3.8L Mustang automatic that has 70k. I really enjoy my car but I want more zip out of it. I have added dual exhaust and an underdrive pulley. I am thinking about getting rear end gears and traction lok for my car. My questions are what kind of gears should I use (I've read online that 4.10 are good for automatics) , and will it require a transmission tuning for the gears. Will it also need new rear end bearings as well? This is my daily driver so I don't want to tear up my car. My last question is would all this be worth it (especially if costs thousands of dollars) or should I save my money and buy a GT? I am a complete noob on stuff like this so any help would be especially appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

Re: rear gears and etc

Well first off if you're even considering buying a GT then I say just go for that because there is no sense putting parts into this car only to sell it a few months later.

4.10s should be fine. I definitely wouldn't go any higher. The higher you go the more rpms you'll be turning at any given speed, so for example right now in top gear you might be doing 1500 rpms at 60mph but the 4.10s will increase that to around 2000 rpms which would result in a slight decrease in fuel mileage and a louder interior.

You don't have to change anything in the transmission but you will need a speed calibrator to compensate for the different gear ratio otherwise your speedo will be off.

Changing rear end bearings is up to you. When I was calling around about getting gears changed some shops wouldn't do the swap without changing the bearings as well because they didnt want to be liable for the bearings going bad after everything was said and done. Its really not that much more so you might want to just get them done while everything is apart.

When I was looking to get the gears done in one of my cars prices varied quite a bit from shop to shop but that is mostly due to the different brands of the parts they're installing and and what was included. $500-$900 with everything.

BTW Your car has a 7.5" rear end which is different than the 8.8" rear in the GT. You might want to point that out to whatever shop is doing the work so they get the right parts.

Honestly, I'd save the money for a GT.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: rear gears and etc

thanks i appreciate the info. sadly, i am not in a position to buy a GT anytime soon. are there any other things that can be done that won't break the bank to improve my car?

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

cheap nike

when symptoms of hydrocephalus,Buy air max 90 uk Online, more commonly known s water on the brain, intruded into her daily routine. Lastly,Purchase Mens Nike Air Max Shoes UK Online, Uzi stun guns make outstanding going away gifts for that son or daughter who is leaving home for the first time to attend college or is moving out on their own. One moe good thing egading the Adidas spots bag - Air Jordan 10 spottasche is that yo may in fact decide on a type that best sits yo. Exercising releases endorphins into the bloodstream and these hormones naturally give you a feeling of euphoria. Your Windows 8 app not only reaches the mobile/tablet market,Reasonable Price air max 90 uk, it has the huge potential of reaching the PC/Air Jordan 2011 market as well. It's not like a designer dress or handbag that will be limited to its season (unless it is a timeless classic Chanel black quilted handbag) designer sunglasses or glasses will be worn time and time again and if looked after could potentially last a whole lifetime. "We know many retailers want to be more sustainable in terms of their sourcing and social policy,Buy air max 90 uk Online, but they have a long way to go to prove that they will remain committed over the long-term. Apart from white,Mens UK Nike Air Max LUNAR, pale yellow, pink or blue are other colors recommended for any interview. As an example, Gionta explained how the reinvented reaction control system on SpaceShipOne works:When we're out in space, all you need to do is release a puff of air in a direction to give you a reaction force to push you the other way. Her arms are encased in rubber sheaths that are supposed to represent metal-studded Air Jordan 2012 strips, but only serve to limit pose-ability of wrists and elbows. Well - you may care to know that Flipkart alone sells about US$2 million of those in India every month. I also asked the Lord to raise up Harold and let him come back to the home that he loved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page