User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 11-01-2005, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Engine failure

Engine failure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently had my engine rebuilt due to a leaky timing cover which caused me to have to rebuild the upper top twice. This time I decided to rebuild the whole block for estimated costs of $1300. $2100 and four weeks later (which encluded a new timing cover that was cut off, bored 20 over, new rings and pistons) we fianally got the engine back and put it in, hooked everything up. I had paid to have them put it togeather and prime the engine so it was all done right. Within 20 miles my engine checklight comes on and I limped it home the last mile. Had the machinist come look at it (I was pretty frustrated at this point) and he drove it to a friend of his who has a diagnostic center. Initially it read misfire in #6. They thought due to clogged fuel injector. Cleaned (and destroyed) my injectors and put a different set on and then it read no compression in #1. They were then telling me that we had put the camshaft positioning sensor unit in wrong and it caused the fuel injectors to be off time flooding the #1 cylinder, destroying the ring seals and that the engine needed to be rebuilt again to replace the seals. From what Im getting from the people Ive talked to (including ford) it would made the engine run rough but would not have caused engine failure and such severe damage to the engine. When we had it rebuilt I noted (and photgraphed) scoring in the cylinder walls after 20 miles. Another $1400 dollars later after the second rebuild (Iknow should have got a crate engine, isnt hindsight wonderful) the engine seem to run fine but engine checklight still on and reading malfunctioning CPS unit. We replaced it and cleared the code and seems ok now but have to wonder if that caused the engine failure like they said. Didnt buy it then and definitly dont now. Wouldnt have caused that damage to the cylinder walls. No gas noted in the oil, all the seals needed replaced (again) etc. The machinist who built it the first time just bought this shop and I think is still learning and is partially responsible (didnt seat the rings right, didnt replace the inner seals???) and he has totally washed his hands of any responsibility. Am thinking of taking him to small claims court to recoup some of my money. Anybody have any thoughts on wether putting the CPS unit in wrong would have caused that kind of damage or what would cause no compression in #1 after a total engine rebuild, the scoring in the cylinders, no oil to the cylinders, etc. Any opinions on his machine work. Any info I can get so when I go to court I can speak with knowledge on the situation. I am trying to get info from several different sources. Thanks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Muscular Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page